Are you interested in improving your home’s curb appeal? One solution is to invest in landscape lighting. Windermere, Winter Park and Lake Mary are just a few of the communities in the Orlando area where you’ll see homes with outdoor lighting. At Elegant Custom Images, we’re happy to provide guidance on the type of lighting that would look best for your home.
Outdoor lighting works best when it enhances the existing landscape. Here are a few ideas on how to add variety to your front yard, garden and/or patio area.
1. Entrance Flowers – Homes always seem more welcoming when there are flowers by the front door. Enhance your entryway with assorted annuals and perennials to keep color going all year long. Great additions include Petunia, Snapdragon, Lily-of-the-Nile, and ‘Gertrude Jekyl’ roses.
2. Rambling Vines – Grow a flowering vine such as Clematis on a fence, trellis or in a container, or let them scramble over shrubs and perennials. The showy vine features blossoms in a variety of colors, including blue, purple, red, pink or white.
3. Plant Easy-Care Faux Lillies – Looking for a no-muss, no-fuss flower that can tolerate drought and Central Florida’s heat and humidity? Look no farther than the fragrant crinium. These lily-like flowers come in assorted colors and bloom during the spring, summer or fall. They grow into huge bulbs over time, and are practically indestructible! Most prefer at least five hours of sun a day, but they’re not picky about soil.
4. Deer-Proof Your Garden – One of the wonders of living in Orlando is that you can still see deer wandering around the neighborhood. But, those deer love gardens too, to keep your flowers from being gobbled up, choose blooms that people find beautiful but deer find disgusting. Perennials like butterfly weed, globe thistle, “royal red” butterfly bush or purple cornflower work well. Plus, you’ll have the added benefit of attracting butterflies to your garden.
5. Go Vertical – Add visual interest and dimension to your yard with elevated planters and hanging baskets. Plants love the good drainage and aeration that raised planters provide, and you’ll enjoy a sea of glorious color. Your baskets will look exceptionally beautiful when you place three types of plants in them – a “spiller” (something that hangs down over the edges) like begonias and variegated sage, a “filler” (something that mouhnds and fills in) like Kong coleus, and a “thriller” (something tall and eye-catching in the center) like purple cordyline.
Now that you have your yard looking wonderful, why not install outdoor lighting to enhance your home in Orlando? Elegant Custom Images designs, installs and maintains landscape lighting throughout Central Florida including Windermere, Lake Nona and Winter Park. Contact us today for a free estimate.